A computer program with the ability to modify other programs usually to the detriment of the computer system. The intention of the virus is to cause chaos and destruction to the computer. In most cases it is limited to the software, but there have been some instances in which a virus had damaged a piece of hardware.
Some famous viruses that have been discovered over the years include Relax, Melissa.A, Bablas, mydoom, ILOVEYOU.
- Install anti-virus software onto your computer and make sure it is up to date. Here is a list of anti-virus commercial software products.
- Make sure your other software is also up to date especially your operating system.
- Turn on your fire wall
- Be cautious about what attachments you open that are sent via email.
- Be cautious about downloading files from the internet especially free games and software utilities.
- Educate yourself about what is happening in the world of computers.
Great tools and advise on how to keep you computer safe.
7 Practices for Computer Security
Tips from OnGuardOnline.gov.